A Christmas Carol, by Charles Dickens, presents an elderly miser by the name of Ebenezer Scrooge. Scrooge is visited by three spirits – Christmas past, present and future. After their visits he is transformed into a much kinder and gentler man.
The majority of us have probably watched A Christmas Carol a time or two and are familiar with the idea of a “scrooge”. But for those who aren’t – a scrooge is a person who is unwilling to give to others. Words with the same meaning are miserly and stingy. In your lifetime you may have met a scrooge personally, or even had the joy of watching a scrooge transform into a kinder and gentler person.
If you’re feeling a little “scrooge-ish” this year, here’s a few ideas to kick in the Sandite spirit to enjoy the holidays this year!
- Hit the craft closet with all ya got! Spread out the crayons, glue, scissors, construction paper and more to make your very own ornament for your Christmas tree! Whether you include words like Joy and Peace – or a family photo – it’s sure to look stunning on your very own Christmas tree at home. Have extra supplies? Create an ornament for someone special – remember it’s the thought that counts!
- Set your sights for the kitchen – because that’s where we’re going next! Check out an old cookbook or Pinterest for an inspirational recipe for a yummy sweet treat. After baking with your kiddos, family or friend, take your baked goods – after testing them of course – to an elderly couple in your neighborhood, church or community! Sharing your hard work with the Sand Springs community always brings about a warm and joyous feeling.
- Grab a journal and write about the things in your life that you have control over! There are lots of things that are outside of our control, but the things we do have in our control (behavior, choosing thoughts) allow us to steer the direction of our life.
- Take a walk! Fresh air along with mild exercise allows for our minds to stop focusing on the problems we are facing and start to look at the big picture.
- Give to a Friend – Feelin’ energized yet? Be the opposite of a scrooge and explore the abundance of gift options in downtown Sand Springs’ own local businesses! Find something for anyone in your life (or someone new!) at local businesses, owned by members of the Sandite community who do a happy dance with every sale, and give back to the community while giving to others!
- The Gift of Time – As we move through our busy day-to-day lives, it’s easy to overlook the greatest gift of all – TIME with each other. The Sandite spirit is alive wherever we are together – whether it’s family, friends, or new acquaintances, spending time with one another keeps Christmas in our hearts. Give the gift of time by smiling at new faces, visiting with loved ones, or visiting with someone from your neighborhood, church, or community who is lonely this season to spread Sandite cheer. The more Sandite cheer you spread, the more you’ll feel!
- And as Scrooge taught us: “I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year. I will live in the Past, the Present, and the Future. The Spirits of all Three shall strive within me.”
Feelin’ a little less scrooge-y now? Enjoy the holidays by indulging the town of Sand Springs, giving to your community, and spending time taking care of yourself this holiday season.
Want to share with us what you are doing through the holidays to keep the spirit of Christmas alive and well? Tag us in your photos on Instagram and Facebook – we’ll see ya there!
Read more articles about Sand Springs Lifestyle here.